Next of Skin's original shop is located right in the heart of Frenchman's Bay, minutes away from Lake Ontario. We opened our doors to the public in 2008 and have continued to grow and evolve to meet our clients needs over this time. The family oriented vibe of the shops is present from the moment you walk through the front doors. The Next of Skin staff is skilled in everything from simple black and grey script to full colour pieces as well as working with the client on custom tattoos. Our versatile staff can meet any need you might have and make you feel totally comfortable in the process. Out tattooing is usually done by appointment, however we are happy to accommodate walk-ins if we have time. Words can only say so much, so we welcome you to browse through our artist galleries on this site and to come by and check us out in person.
Tuesday to Saturday:
12 noon - 8pm
*call or check postings on Facebook and the website for any changes in hours of operation and holiday schedules*
E-mail us for any inquiries, questions or any references you may have. However, if you require a custom tattoo, cover-up, sleeve or a personal fitting that needs to be drawn up, we cannot book through e-mail. You will need to come down to the shop for a personal consult and leave a deposit (cash or Interac) which guarantees your time with an artist. For consultations you may bring pictures, printouts, photos (preferably not small images or photos on your cell phone.) If there is a need to reschedule we need at least a few days notice in advance.Gift Certificates are available for your loved ones. Perfect for birthdays, Xmas and any other occasion, or great to give to that person who has been talking about getting a tattoo forever, this will get'em in here!
BY FOLLOWING THESE STEPS, YOU WILL HAVE THE BEST RETENTION OF COLOUR AND THE FASTEST HEALING RESULTS.
1. REMOVE BANDAGES THE FOLLOWING MORNING. The purpose of this is to protect tattoo from airborne bacteria. It is normal for your tattoo to seep fluids, don't be alarmed. Once removed, DO NOT re-bandage for any reason.
2. WASH TATTOO WITH SOAP & WASH YOUR HANDS FIRST! IMPORTANT!! As soon as you remove bandages, wash thoroughly with mild soap (dove or Ivory) and warm water. It will be tender, but be sure to remove any dried blood and fluids. Air dry and AVOID soaking in tubs, hot tubs, pools, ect. while healing.
3. LEAVE TATTOO ALONE FOR 2-3 DAYS. DO NOT put anything on it for 2-3 days or until it feels dry.
4. LIGHTLY MOISTURIZE TATTOO. Once tattoo feels dry, massage in an unscented moisturizer such as Lubriderm, until fully absorbed, 2-4 times a day. NEVER use antibiotic ointment such as Polysporin, Vaseline, Aloe or Vitamin E which can lead to a reaction or colour loss.
5. IF SCABS FORM, FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T PICK THEM!!! Most tattoos heal in 3-14 days. If scabs form and are picked at or "helped" fall off, you will have colour loss. After initial flakes fall off, some people experience secondary flaking. Itching is normal, do not scratch. Moisturize or pat tattoo for relief.
6. AVOID THE SUN (& TANNING BEDS)! Your new tattoo can burn in as little as 5 minutes, and a sunburn will cause more scabbing, longer healing time, colour loss and pain. After fully healed, apply high SPF to prevent fading.
7. TOUCH UPS. Sometimes even well cared for tattoos need small touch ups. This might be an area that didn't heal well or needs a little more colour. IF proper aftercare was followed, and returning within the first year, touch ups are free.
IF AFTER THE RECOMMENDED HEALING TIME YOUR TATTOO STILL HAS SLIGHT REDNESS, PAIN OR SWELLING, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT US AT THE SHOP OR YOUR FAMILY PHYSICIAN.
All of our artists will provide you with proper aftercare instructions in full detail before you leave the shop.
The decision to get a tattoo is a big one, especially if it's your first. You may have questions about selecting tattoo designs, finding just the right artist (always research a shop and its artists before deciding on where to get your tattoo) and more. Here are some frequently asked questions to help you along your way.
Answer: Pain is really relative. Everyone has a different tolerance to pain. Some have compared it to a "hot scratching feeling". But, people would not be returning again and again for tattoo after tattoo if it hurt THAT bad. Most of us are not into pain, but the beauty of the tattoo and the pride associated with wearing it far outweighs a little annoying pain.
Answer: If you think you tattoo might be infected, don't sit around waiting for it to get worse! Signs of infection are severe pain, hot redness, swelling and/or pus discharge (with or without the presence of blood), or a foul odour emanating from the area. See your doctor immediately. An infection can be caused by bacteria entering into small openings of skin (another reason not to pick!) or improper cleaning or aftercare.
Answer: Eighteen, although you will be able to get a tattoo at the age of 16 with parental consent, depending on the placement and image. In this case, always listen to your artist's opinion - they know best! The older you are when you get a tattoo, the less likely you'll be to regret it later on.
Answer: Our shop minimum is $100 and the hourly rate at the shop is $140.
When it comes to tattoos, you get what you pay for. Yes, there are plenty of people tattoo that will ink you cheap, and you'll be crying to a real artist to have it covered up. Look for quality and be willing to pay for the quality end result. NEVER haggle over the price of a tattoo. It is disrespectful to the artist. If you can't pay for quality, don't bother getting something cheap. This is not a bargin bin. It is a piece of art you will wear for life.
Copyright © 2019 Next of Skin - All Rights Reserved.